With Open Enrollment around the corner we thought it would be beneficial to review the Scope of Appointment (SOA) form to ensure that you remain in compliance this selling season.
The SOA form is a CMS required agreement obtained by the agent from the Medicare-eligible client in advance of their appointment to discuss the following products:
- PDP Plans
- Medicare Advantage
- Dental/Vision/Hearing Products
- Hospital Indemnity Products
- Medicare Supplement Products
The client can choose whichever products they would like to discuss. We always give the example for potential Medicare Advantage clients to check both the Medicare Advantage and the Hospital Indemnity Products boxes. These two products go hand-in-hand so the agent can let the client know about the expected out-of-pocket cost for Medicare Advantage Plans and how to cover that cost.
Important information to remember:
- The SOA form must be obtained prior to any appointment with a Medicare eligible consumer when any MA or PDP plan will be discussed.
- Have the client initial the product(s) they agree can be discussed at the appointment, have them sign, and returned to you either by person, mail, or email/fax.
- There must be a 48 hour waiting period between the SOA being signed and the appointment. Click Here for an example of an SOA form where there is no waiting period.
- An SOA is valid until used or until the end of the applicable election period.
- The SOA form must be retained for 10 years.
- The SOA must be submitted to the carrier regardless if the appointment resulted in a sale.
Click Here for an example of how to correctly fill out a SOA form
Click Here for a copy of a CMS approved generic SOA form
Have any questions? Feel free to contact us for more information.